Monday, April 27, 2015

Letter #3

WHAT ?!?!?! I'm in New Mexico?! It's crazy!!
The first night i got here we met the mission president and his wife. they are the nicest people i have met! they are just soo awesome!


We had lunch and then we had some training. it was so hard to try and not fall asleep on the couches! but then during the day they were like "ok we have some missionaries close by, you are going to go out with them and talk to people and place a book of Mormon.!" WHAT?!?! so i went out and the first person we talked to, the Sister with me did it just to kind of show me. then we went up to another person and the Sister was saying all these great things and then she looked to me to say something, and i just blanked, i was just looking at the person we were talking to and i said nothing...so the other Sister kept going! HAHAHA it was kinda funny!

 They had a ton of different missionaries over i was able to see my friend Elder Gardner! that was crazy! It's the best feeling ever to see someone you know! ahh its great! Then the next day was transfers and we got our new companions.
i was also able to see Elder Yates! That was way crazy! i saw him and i almost said " HEY CODY!!!" haha its really weird calling him elder yates! and then while i was there i was also saw Elder MacKay. Not sure if i spelled his name right. 

I'm serving in the Rio Rancho NM area and my companion's name is Sister Baker from Washington state! 
The areas here are kinda weird. So, I'm not serving in a stake, just a ward, because it's that huge! It covers miles and miles and it's just one ward. The ward is called Star Heights and there are like no paved roads. It's all dirt roads...and I'm riding a BIKE!! 
First off, i am going to be sooo in shape because we have to ride up hill on desert roads in skirts while this insane wind is pushing against us! its pretty hard! 

the first lesson i taught here was a guy named Dennis who I'm guessing had a real great time at Woodstock and hears voices in his head! so that was fun! it really was, there is like this excitement of sitting down and sharing the gospel with people! 

The members here are awesome! they are like family, people have us over for dinner every night! so that's awesome! My first meal here was green chili pizza! YUM! its soooo good! but not all the food is good, one night we had a member cooks us like pig skin/fat soup...that was a hard meal to get down. The ward mission leaders name is brother Lockard! and he reminds me of dad! he is always saying dad jokes and is just awesome! 

My companion...is usually pretty good. but these past couple of days have been kind of hard. Whe ever we see someone on the street she always makes me go talk to them because she said she's too scared to talk to them. and she's 21 and went to BYU for 3 years. i have kinda gotten the impression that she doesn't like learning from people who are younger than her. We had had a question about something, so I told her to call our District leader who is almost done with his mission, and she just was like "no he doesn't know anything". She is always talking about her old companion who was 23 and how great she was and how much she misses her. I'm starting to think that i might be here to teach her. but I'm not sure. oh and something else that is really hard is when people ask where I'm from and i say Utah- if they are a member, they know where West Jordan is and ask me if i know people -if they aren't a member, or even some members do this, they just ignore more give me this look like "Oooohh... Utah..." they roll their eyes, its annoying, and Sister Baker bags on Utah a lot too, so that bugs me, but whatever!

Its been pretty hard, but just like the Beatles " Its getting better all the time!" the first few days i REALLY missed home and wanted to come home. but the ward here really is like family. they love the missionaries! so that's good! oh also last night we went to visit a member and....SHE HAD A VIOLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so she is letting me borrow it and i got to play it today! that was fun! oh and people here have NO grass and NO side walks and NO roads, hahah! its very different not a lot of green. Its really dry too! Ill put on lotion, and then 2 seconds later I'm putting on more lotion! but its been a good week! Thank you for all the love and prayers!

I LOOOVE YOU!!!!!!
With love, from me to you,

Sister Markus :)

No comments:

Post a Comment